Grandmother from Georgia arrives in the US for medical treatment following illness on cruise ship, according to family

The family of a LaGrange grandmother who fell ill on a cruise ship over the weekend is now speaking out after successfully raising thousands of dollars to bring their loved one home.

In an exclusive interview, Channel 2’s Courtney Francisco had a conversation with Teonie Evans, who is the daughter of Loretta Cox. Loretta is not only a mother of six but also a grandmother of nine. This conversation took place on Thursday night.

After being stranded in the Dominican Republic, she has finally made it to the United States for her much-needed medical treatment.

The entire family rallied together to bring her back safely. Currently, Cox has arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, where they are now residing.

Aldes Brooks, Cox’s daughter, has confirmed to Channel 2 Action News that Cox arrived in Ft. Lauderdale at 2:13 a.m. on Friday.

Francisco had a conversation with Evans on WSB Tonight at 11 p.m. on Thursday.

“I’ve just received a notification that the air ambulance has arrived in the Dominican Republic to bring my mother back to the United States,” Evans shared.

Cox and her husband embarked on a cruise to Florida last Saturday.

On Tuesday, the fluid-filled lungs of Cox made her extremely ill, requiring her to be placed on a ventilator. Consequently, she found herself stranded in the Dominican Republic where she was receiving medical care. The doctors in the Dominican Republic assured her stability, yet emphasized the necessity of arranging a specialized medical flight for her return to the United States for further treatment.

After the story was broadcasted on Channel 2 Action News at 6 p.m., Cox’s other daughter, Aldes Brooks, shared that a remarkable amount of $18,000 was raised by family members, friends, and even strangers in order to arrange a medical flight for Cox.

Read More:  Federal authorities to pick up driver involved in police pursuit of stolen vehicle into Kansas

Evans expressed her shock and speechlessness upon receiving an overwhelming number of calls and messages offering assistance. She continues to be amazed by the continuous influx of support from people who are eager to help. Evans also mentioned that people have been reaching out to inquire about additional needs and whether they can provide further assistance. She feels immense joy and gratitude due to this outpouring of support.

Cox remains in a coma and is currently reliant on a ventilator.

Evans expressed the importance of maintaining our prayers for her recovery and remaining hopeful that she will overcome this challenging time.

The family is urging people to secure medical evacuation insurance before traveling abroad.

Evans encouraged taking the leap and making the purchase, highlighting the rollercoaster of emotions involved.

According to Francisco, Cox is expected to go directly to Broward Hospital once she lands.

Leave a Comment